Author Topic: Possible idea for extending range...  (Read 1228 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Possible idea for extending range...
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »
I've heard talk of extending the range of electric motorcycles for trips by having a trailer pulled behind the motorcycle.

I think I have a better idea...

I admit it will be a niche market, but Brammo could really do this in a cool way that will be killer at shows...

Sidecar. Nuff said... Well actually I have more to say...which shouldn't be surprising :)

Two sizes. One is a smaller torpedo shape that is just pure battery pack and a small area for storage. The second is a full sized side car with room for a person to sit and for batteries in the trunk area.

Nothing is cooler than a dog riding in a sidecar...

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Possible idea for extending range...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »
Except maybe a cow in a sidecar....

Gavin

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:00:36 PM »
I've heard talk of extending the range of electric motorcycles for trips by having a trailer pulled behind the motorcycle.

I think I have a better idea...

I admit it will be a niche market, but Brammo could really do this in a cool way that will be killer at shows...

Sidecar. Nuff said... Well actually I have more to say...which shouldn't be surprising :)

Two sizes. One is a smaller torpedo shape that is just pure battery pack and a small area for storage. The second is a full sized side car with room for a person to sit and for batteries in the trunk area.

Nothing is cooler than a dog riding in a sidecar...

Gavin

Nice to see you like our indian cruisers :)
My dad had one of those, it was my dream bike growing up...

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »
Sidecars are bad-ass and all, but wouldn't it be easier to just have a pair of extra battery packs in panniers mounted in the back? 

Is there a such thing as a universal mounting standard for motorcycle panniers?  Or are they all mounted completely different for every bike?  I've never had any myself.  I'd think a purpose-built universal pannier with extra batteries would be a brilliant aftermarket product if EV bikes go main-stream.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »
Yeah, a nice option would be for the Givi Side Bags to be easy on off and the replacement is a similar size and shape and filled with batteries....

For riding around town you have the Givis for storage...a slightly longer ride and you put on a battery and a storage...much longer rides and you put on two batteries...and just strap and storage to the tank or back or your body....

Gavin

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
A couple of years ago, Electric Motorsport was claiming (on their website) that you could buy a set of their saddlebags for the GPR-S and stuff them full of batteries to achieve additional range.  But I never heard of any such modification actually being performed, nor did I see evidence that EMS ever tried to actually perform that "upgrade".  I kind of have my doubts that most motorcycle saddlebags (especially plastic cases) would be able to carry more than a couple of battery cells without having structural issues, in any case (pun intended).
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
Yeah, which is why I thought side car...weight is t as much an issue.

Actually I would love saddlebags that are half battery, half storage...

But it would still have weight issues...would have to be hella strong.

Gavin

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »
Could it really be that simple? I mean, structural issues aside, given the discussion in a previous thread on the subject of battery upgrades, modifying the battery system is not at all as easy as strapping a couple of jerrycans to the bike.

Perhaps one day, with enough standardization, it will be that simple, but I don't think we're there yet.
:-\
Richard #935 #595 #44

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:30 AM »
No it is not that easy without standardization. But on a Brammo bike, Brammo could easily do this...standardization be damn, Brammo can fit to Brammo with minimal effort. :)

Gavin

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
Here's some food for thought...
Standardized batteries in the side cart which could be easily swapped out for "new" freshly charged batteries... Great for roadtrips...
All we'd need is a network of swapping stations along major freeways...
We'd be touring on ebikes...

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »

I guess there is good news and bad news about Brammo's take on sidecars.

Good news: Sidecars were acknowledged by Brammo in the Enertia Classic owner's manual on page 10.

Bad news: The Enertia was not designed to handle a sidecar.

Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your Enertia. This Enertia was not designed for these attachments, and their use can seriously impair your Enertia’s handling.

I think it would take more skill to operate a motorcycle with a sidecar, and that adds a bigger risk of an accident; which Brammo cannot afford.