Author Topic: Enertia battery cost/swap  (Read 8175 times)

beatsdddx

• View Profile
Enertia battery cost/swap
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »
Does anyone know the cost of a single battery for the Enertia
let alone the cost for the entire battery pack!
Will it be possible to get Empulse batteries,not sure if they are the same size,
install them in the Enertia and increase the range of the motorcycle.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Enertia battery cost/swap
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
You seem like the kind of guy who skips to the end of the book to read the last page, Beats. 

Patience.

All will be revealed... in time.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:48:48 AM »
Does anyone know the cost of a single battery for the Enertia
let alone the cost for the entire battery pack!
Will it be possible to get Empulse batteries,not sure if they are the same size,
install them in the Enertia and increase the range of the motorcycle.

The Enertia uses six valence U1-12XP battery packs in series, for a nominal capacity of 40ah @ 76.8v.
http://www.valence.com/energy-storage/xp-12v-19v-lithium-phosphate-battery-module

I don't think Valence does direct sales now. There are some pricing quotes from 2008 on EV mailing lists for $860 per 0.5kwh pack, which is quite steep. Brammo's costs are likely much lower.

If you were willing to do a bit of work, you could replace the batteries with Thundersky LiFePO4 batteries. Elite Power has a 12.8v 60ah pack available for $400 with balancers, or $2400 for a complete enertia-equivalent pack. A pack of six would give you the same voltage, and 50% better range for about a 30 lb weight gain.
http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=96

It's likely that wouldn't be a drop-in solution, as the TS packs are shaped a bit differently and there may be some battery-to-charger communication that's specific to the valence packs.

The Empulse batteries will likely be packed in a different configuration. Anything is possible with a sufficient quantity of sweat and $$ and tears, but you're better off waiting to see if Brammo offers an up-rated enertia first.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »
Proto quote:If you were willing to do a bit of work, you could replace the batteries with Thundersky LiFePO4 batteries. Elite Power has a 12.8v 60ah pack available for $400 with balancers, or $2400 for a complete enertia-equivalent pack. A pack of six would give you the same voltage, and 50% better range for about a 30 lb weight gain.
http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=96

Good input Thx.
I'm getting 514$/kwh then for these thundersky batts.--not bad. In orger to get Empulse 10kwh we would need 10x514= 5140$.

13 of these  would give us 10 kwh. If each is 4.6" wide then the total length of the pack in the bike would be 60"= 5 ft. Kind of excessive. Looks like Brammo has a pretty difficult problem statement if they want an inexpensive pack!!

beatsdddx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
Thanks! Protomech and GeorgeS 4 the  info!
Always wondered what the battery price was it's good to know.
Swapping is not cheap!! WOW!

Well............ it's best to wait!

joeruby666

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:39:48 PM »
Hello !

I called Brammo recently, on Thursday March 24th, 2011. I was told that the replacement
price to a customer for the full battery array would be $4,000. I was also told that Valence
in Austin Texas was the supplier and would be the warranty servicing agent. The Enertia battery
has a 2 year warranty Interesting tidbit is that there is no mention of Brammo on Valence's website that I could see. I asked about the Enertia Plus and the Empulse, and was told neither would be available until the end of 2011 !!!

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
Hey, Joe. Welcome to the forum.

Valence is the maker of the original Enertia batteries. There used to be on orange Enertia on the Valence battery site. It is my understanding that Brammo stopped using Valence and switched to a different battery chemistry for the future Brammos.

Do you have an original Enertia?

The batteries are expected to last far longer than two years if they are properly maintained.