Author Topic: Brammo Spied?  (Read 5263 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Brammo Spied?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
The production model seems to have lost the "3 parallel lines" look that the prototype had. I.e. the belly, battery frame and suspension spring were all parallel before. Now the belly is a lot more rounded, and the suspension is at a very different angle from the battery frame.

I think that I liked the more angular prototype shape a bit better, although perhaps I'm saying that because I've grown accustomed to it. I can definitely see the advantage of a more rounded upper "tank": it's going to make it a lot more comfortable to lay over the tank to get under the wind.

I like the fact that it has full mirrors. The handlebar mirrors that some people have put on their Enertias look pretty cool, but I prefer a mirror that requires only my eyes to move, rather than my whole head.

It's a sweet looking bike, and I'm very happy that it's finally seeing the light of day. I'd still like to see a small windshield on mine, so I can duck behind it and get better aerodynamics.
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
I've been asked by the photographer to pull down the photos.   :(
So, Lastb0isct and anyone else who re-published that photo, could you please modify your posts?

The spies have to make a living, so let's all be nice and link to the host website (rather than directly to the image), and then when we visit it, click on all the sponsor links to send a little cash to the host website. :)

In a week, we'll all get some very awesome high definition images to drool over. :P
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 12:52:52 PM »
i am linking to image vs posting image...that way people can "choose" to look or not...

blog post: (does not click through...select the whole link and copy paste)

http://www.automedia.com/Blog/post/Breaking-News-Production-Brammo-Empulse-R-Electric-Motorcycle-Spied!.aspx

I fixed the link in the quote so that you can click through.
Richard #935 #595 #44

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
I like the design overall... liked the belly of the prototype much better. The battery boxes and tank look more refined on the production version. My main worry after seeing an un-faired R is that they price both of em into oblivion... in which case I will be screwed. I mean how much different could the regular model be? Lower grade brakes, forks, rear shock, etc arent going to make that much of a difference in price, are they? I feel for you folks that wont get Colorado style tax breaks...

I really hope Brammo can hit that 14k price point.

BTW, my gixxer may have already sold... so I am going to be without a bike until Brammo can hook me up.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:59:49 PM by EmpulseBuyer »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »
The production model seems to have lost the "3 parallel lines" look that the prototype had. I.e. the belly, battery frame and suspension spring were all parallel before. Now the belly is a lot more rounded, and the suspension is at a very different angle from the battery frame.

I think that I liked the more angular prototype shape a bit better, although perhaps I'm saying that because I've grown accustomed to it. I can definitely see the advantage of a more rounded upper "tank": it's going to make it a lot more comfortable to lay over the tank to get under the wind.

Yeah. I think the belly area is really the most unattractive part of the bike.. and that may be just to fit the more powerful onboard charger : / I would probably remove the pillion pegs as well, if they're easily reattached.

Rest of it looks good. I miss the 3 parallel line design .. looking forward to seeing this next week without the rider on it.

I like the fact that it has full mirrors. The handlebar mirrors that some people have put on their Enertias look pretty cool, but I prefer a mirror that requires only my eyes to move, rather than my whole head.

Yeah, bar-end mirrors look sexy but I like having mirrors at or very close to my vision arc. I finally (after six weeks!) got the Zero mirrors set up in a way that works well for me.

It's a sweet looking bike, and I'm very happy that it's finally seeing the light of day. I'd still like to see a small windshield on mine, so I can duck behind it and get better aerodynamics.

I believe that we have the answer to "does the transmission make it more efficient". The Empulse R does not have a full fairing, and has about 11% more range per kWh at 70 mph than the Zero S. The shape might be a touch more aerodynamic, but I think at highway speeds the transmission at least makes up for the extra drag, and quite likely does improve highway energy consumption a bit.

Chevy took a similar approach with the Volt. Before highway speeds, the Volt is a pure serial EV, with the engine operating a generator which energizes the motor. At and above legal freeway speeds, the Volt connects the engine to the wheels by a mechanical transmission to improve fuel consumption.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »
I'm just going to throw this out there and note, for the record, that I have not heard a thing about this from Brammo:
Is it possible that what were looking at is the Empulse R with a little extra added camouflage? The belly pan and the missing tank-sides... just seems questionable to me. 

The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
I don't think so...would you have camo in your own video shoot?

And the teaser image shows the lack of tank sides.

As for the fat belly pan...yeah, my least favorite change...but likely there for a reason (bigger battery, bigger motor, reposition of the radiator)...I am sure Brammo didn't want a fat low belly...but likely it couldn't be helped.

I kinda hope the Empulse gives birth to the anti-scooter...then there is a sleaker Empulse and a tiny ride for my sis in law. :)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
I also compared it to a photo of my current ride (SV650), and the geometry seems fairly similar, which was something I'm hoping for.  I really like seating position on my SV650.  Does anyone know who the rider is, and how tall they are?

Someone posting on the automedia.com site is saying "That would be Steveo there ttxgp racer" in the pictures.  Can anyone tell me how tall Steveo is? 

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »
I really don't mind the way that belly looks. After having wiped the drool off my keyboard, I think it could easily be there to direct air over the rad as well as keeping road wash off the expensive parts inside.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
Why don't you ask him? : )
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=917.msg5839

Last Active:    December 22, 2011, 07:29:30 AM      :(

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
I also compared it to a photo of my current ride (SV650), and the geometry seems fairly similar, which was something I'm hoping for.  I really like seating position on my SV650.  Does anyone know who the rider is, and how tall they are?

Someone posting on the automedia.com site is saying "That would be Steveo there ttxgp racer" in the pictures.  Can anyone tell me how tall Steveo is? 

SteveO is a giant.

In some sense of the word, anyway.

I really doubt this is him.  He's kind of jockey-sized.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »
I think the belly pan looks fine, but it looks like it would preclude a center stand (standard or optional).

I like the look, but the first thing that struck me about it was that there is a giant body in the middle in front of the rider and then the rear suspension and tail kind of look like they're very minimalist and a lot of separation between them emphasizes the difference from the body. A wasp-like structure (though the prototype had a much more yellow-jacket coloring).

I'm still signed up and wondering how quickly the queue will run through...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that Brammo has only really referred to the Empulse R? They only published the specs for the Empulse R. Now, we are looking at an Empulse R without fairing and they are going to give away an Empulse R...

Is there any chance that the Empulse (without the "R") will be something very different or even, not there at all? Or are they just selling their powerhouse version, so they don't have to explain why the Empulse will not have many of the state-of-the-art parts?

Can't wait for the 8th... someone please tell me they will have something I can afford!!!  ???

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »
I imagine the reason that they MAY be pushing the R currently is because it could be the only model available initially. Similar to what Tesla is doing with the Model S Signature Series. That is, if you want to get one this year, you have to pony up for the fully loaded model. I doubt Brammo is going that route, but I would not be all that surprised either. Their marketing strategy seems to have changed quite a bit over the last year. We again are left to speculate... until the 8th at least.

On second thought, the fact that they are giving away an R suggests that it will be the only model available initially... would think that they would give away the regular one, but maybe Craig is just feeling extra generous... who knows.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:24:31 PM by EmpulseBuyer »