Author Topic: General Brammo questions  (Read 6207 times)

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
General Brammo questions
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »
Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site. My name is Sam and I've been a motorcyclist since I was 7 years old. I'll soon be 47. That's a lot of miles on bikes.

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a Brammo Inertia motorcycle. My plan is to just use the motorcycle for my 38 mile per day commute. This would save the daily wear and tear on my other motorcycles and I could use them exclusively for trips and weekend riding. I work at a large water utility company and will be able to charge the Interia at work. No problem, I've already asked. The 15 year payback has me more than a little concerned but that's only if gas prices stay as they are now. There is one thought I have, how would I get to work if the gas supply suddenly dried up? The Interia would answer that problem. Sam still goes to work! My family and I are building a new GREEN home. This motorcycle falls right in line with what we have going on. 

A saleman from Brammo is wanting to put me in contact with Best Buy to facilitate the purchase. However, I do have a few reservations. I'm hoping you guys can help me out a little. I've looked around both the Brammo site and here but I still have a few questions. I apologize if I have overlooked these topics on this site.   

Here goes:

1.) Can I ride the Interia in cold rainy weather? Are the batteries and motor waterproof?

2.) Can the batteries be upgraded as the technology improves? I'm thinking more range.

3.) Does the Interia use a proprietary battery pack or one standard to the industry? Is there a standard?

4.) Will the batteries be interchangeable from the Inertia to the next model or specific to each model?

5.) Can I buy replacement batteries?

6.) Will my insurance cover the batteries, if something goes wrong?

Thanks for any help!

SamM

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: General Brammo questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »

1.) Can I ride the Interia  Enertia in cold rainy weather? Are the batteries and motor waterproof?
Yes, the motor, motor controller, batteries etc. are all water-resistant --- Don't submerge the bike... but if that were the case, you'd have bigger problems.
2.) Can the batteries be upgraded as the technology improves? I'm thinking more range.
The batteries are modular, and I think they've mentioned a couple times that the bike is "battery agnostic."  So "yes."

3.) Does the  Interia  Enertia use a proprietary battery pack or one standard to the industry? Is there a standard?

I think the batteries currently come from Valence, but the frame is constructed so that the bike, as noted above, is battery agnostic.  As far as I know, there is not an "industry standard."

4.) Will the batteries be interchangeable from the  Interia  Enertia to the next model or specific to each model?

I don't know the answer to this one.

5.) Can I buy replacement batteries?
Probably... but remember that presently, the batteries are the biggest cost of the bike.  They have a pretty long life, so you probably won't have to worry about this for awhile.

6.) Will my insurance cover the batteries, if something goes wrong?
Hmmm, you should ask your insurance company, I guess.  I have priced insurance for my Enertia from Progressive Insurance, and I don't recall anything on there about batteries. 

The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
Brammofan,
Oops, hadn't notice that I spelled the name of the motorcycle incorrectly several times! I was actually closer the first time with Inertia. Don't know where I came up with the misplaced t. Bad typing! ::)

Wow, I'm not sure that water resistant helps me much, as I ride day in and day out, everyday rain or shine. Waterproof would be much better. I have no plans to use it as a submarine but if you ride with me you're going to get wet. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. With it not being waterproof, I'm not sure whether it would be a wise purchase, for me and my use.

Myself, I tend to keep things for a long time and look more at the long term value as opposed to short term. Having an 8k lawn ornament in 5 or 6 years that I can't do anything with, does not appeal to me. If the batteries can't be replaced then it would be a deal breaker, for me. Right now, I have a 13+k KTM 950 Adventure lawn ornament that I can't sell sitting in my shop. I surely don't need another. 

Since the batteries are an intregal part of the drive system and a large portion of the cost of the bike, they should be covered. I would need to have some sort of assurance that a short (apparently in wet weather) of the drive system would not take the bike completely out. If so, what would I be looking at cost wise for a replacement drive. If the batteries were 5k or more and not covered, that would definiately be a major deal breaker. Perhaps there is an extended warranty to cover the batteries.

Sorry for the questions! I suppose I'm even more skeptical now! Looks like I'll need to call my insurance company and Brammo directly. The bike is very cool though. I'm trying very hard to justify one of these. It might be a matter of waiting for better technology.

Thanks for your help and congrats on the free bike!

SamM

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »
I'm not doing a good job of describing the bike's water-proofiness.  Thousands of miles have been logged on this bike in testing and real world use. (Look up the references to the ShockingBarack tour, the first few days of which were in driving rain.)  This bike is as waterproof as you'll ever need it to be.  If you rode an I.C.E. bike through water deep enough to get sucked into the carbs, you'd be looking at, at least, an engine rebuild. 

When I said water resistant vs. water proof, it was probably the lawyer in me talking.  To me, a waterproof watch is one that you can go scuba diving with, and a water-resistant watch is one that you can wear in the rain and maybe even go swimming in. 

Okay, I'm talking out of my butt, now.  Can I tag someone on the other side of the ropes to rescue me? Brian?  Adrian?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

thespecialone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Brammo
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
Here is an Enertia being water tested at the Brammo test facilty here in southern Oregon. As you can see the bike is designed to cope with rain and heavy surface water.
Adrian

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »
Brammofan,
It's looking good! Adrian has emailed me back already and verified that the bike is indeed waterproof and he has the pictures to prove it. He has also answered all of my questions and I am liking what I am reading. The batteries are off the shelf units that can be purchased and the price isn't as bad as I thought.  

SamM

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:42:49 PM by SamM »

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Keep asking questions if you have them.

I did a lot of research before buying and I am really glad I did buy one.

I have experience riding the Enertia in the pouring rain and I had no trouble at all.

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Travel America
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »
Hey, Sam..
I can tell you that I ride my bike, rain or shine. Living in Portland, Oregon, you have to put up with the rain for all you do in life.  Its really good in the rain with the normal problems.. and no power band to kick in and make the rear-end go fishy.
Riding in the cold weather didnt give me any problems that I noticed. 
I inquired about buying extra batteries and was told that Brammo would have them available for me. Was also told that they have a ten year life. I dont think I will need any soon. By the time I need them, I will be buying a new and upgraded battery!

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Travel America
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 05:08:59 PM »
If you want to get the opinion of someone that isnt an egg-head..... sorry boys.... but, just a motorcycle lover, ask away. I love my bike and highly recommend it as the perfect commuter bike.

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 02:52:29 AM »
enertia-ette,
I am very excited about the Brammo Enertia. My problem is that I do not live in town. My large tract of land is located 18.9 miles from town in very rural West Virginia. No, I'm not a hillbilly. I'm a transplant. ;D My family is from here though. Anyway, we are currently building a new energy efficient GREEN home. In designing and building this new home, we (my wife and I) came to the conclusion that future energy costs would basically eat us out of our new home. We need to be more responsible and spend less on fossil fuels. As a result our home will be very efficient and we will not burn any fossil fuels. It is super-insulated, passive solar and will use a solar thermal system to heat water for radiant heat. No forced air heat or air-conditioning. Sorry, I got on a roll. ::)

Back to the bike. What type of riding do you use the Enertia for? Just commuting? What range do you get from a full charge? Will dirt or dust harm the bike? I live 1.1 miles off the paved road. Would that be a factor? If dust got inside the covers and onto the electrical components what would be the procedure to clean it without killing myself? Air? Any idea? I can see myself riding one of these! ;) I've recently thought about getting a smaller Kawasaki KLX250S ($4999) that gets around 80 mpg and I am currently building myself a diesel-powered 2008 KLR that will get over 125 mpg. The Enertia could be the better replacement for these motorcycles (and projects) as I already have a gas-powered 2008 KLR650 and I don't need 4 fueled motorcycles. I also have a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure. I will part out the Adventure in order to help pay for the Enertia. It's important to me NOT to have a payment, so I'll be paying cash for the Enertia.

Basically, I don't want to be left without a chair when the music stops on the gasoline economy, so to speak! This would be my first step to freedom from gasoline.   

Thanks for any help!

SamM 

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »
What type of riding do you use the Enertia for? Just commuting? What range do you get from a full charge? Will dirt or dust harm the bike?

My primary use is to commute to work, but I also look for other opportunities to ride for fun and to do errands. I do not doubt the research that Brammo has done on range. I know the range improves when the batteries are broken in based on my trial and error testing with a fixed route. There are many factors that go into range like rider weight, the terrain, wind speed and direction, well-maintained bike, tire pressure, coasting down hills, etc.

Part of my commute is on unpaved roads which is either packed dirt or a crushed stone/gravel. As a result, bike bike gets fairly dirty each day. I have not had a problem with any of the dust that I encounter. I have not tried to clean out the insides of the the bike. I use compressed air for cleaning the dust from desktop computers, however, I would ask Brammo tech support before I tried it on my Enertia.

I took my first step of freedom from gasoline with the Enertia.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:49:10 PM by Phantom »

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Phantom! ;)

Sometimes in the evening, I'll meet up with my best friend and riding buddy. He just lives down the road from me. It's about 2 miles to his house. We'll make a loop around the area on the rural two-lane paved roads before it gets dark just to unwind from the day. It's probably 20 to 25 miles give or take. This isn't something that we do often, just once every two weeks or so. The wives are cool with it and we have some time to converse about things that men talk about. Sometimes we'll ride 19 miles into town and stop at Barnes & Noble to have a cup of coffee and to check out the latest issues of the cycle magazines. This is a great tension reliever and to just get away from the daily grind of life and demanding family life. We don't go far and we just take our time at a relaxed pace. I rather enjoy it and I see the Enertia as being perfect for this type of riding. Maybe even better than perfect. Without all the noise, fumes and no wasted time stopping at the gas station. Well for me anyway! My buddy now rides a 2007 Suzuki V-Strom and is a recent convert from a 2002 Ducati ST4s. ::) We both did the eurobike thing and I'm happy to have that situation behind me. My 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure S was a real nightmare to own. The Enertia would be the polar opposite of the gasoline, labor and maintenance intensive KTM V-twin.

Honestly, the more I think about it the more I like the thought of an Enertia as my next motorcycle. I think I will start a fund and start saving for a new Brammo Enertia. There are currently 3 motorcycles sitting in my shop to part out. The KTM Adventure, a 2005 Yamaha TT-R125E that my daughter outgrew, and a 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200 dualsport. The parts should easily net me more than enough for the purchase of an Enertia. I also have quite a few Buell parts leftover from owning a couple of those bikes years ago. This may take me until next riding season but I think I can do it!

I just stuck $100 into my Enertia stash fund! ;D Hey, it's a start! ::)

SamM  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:11:14 PM by SamM »

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
Forgot to mention that I used to weigh in at 235 lbs on a good day! Make that a bad day! :o

Been dieting for the past two weeks and so far I'm down to 205 as of this morning. I hate to say dieting. It's more of a life change. Wow, I feel better! I sit at a computer all day long and don't get in much physical activity most days. I've been using my Total Gym more lately. If it's good enough for Chuck Norris then it will work for me. My target weight is 145 to 150 lbs and this should help with the range, when and if I am able to get the Brammo. ;D

SamM

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »
No problem, I hope it helps your decision. I think a forum full of Enertia owners is a great resource for potential Enertia owners. We have asked many of the same questions that you have and had to weigh the decison of buying an Enertia or not.

Perhaps you could charge at the Barnes and Noble or somewhere close to it.

I also like riding at a relaxed pace some of the time. I take in the scenery with most of my senses and really enjoy the ride.

I hope you have good luck building your stash fund for the Enertia. If you ever get impatient, like me, you can get a two-year financing plan through Best Buy.

I go to a gym near where I work to stay in shape. The gym will make an appearance in video I am planning to post soon as I take my Enertia there. I am in a building muscle stage, so I don't plan on dropping my weight anytime soon. Good luck with the Total Gym. I bet the resistance training provides for a good workout.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:11:21 PM by Phantom »

SamM

• Going GREEN!
  • Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 12:08:41 AM »
Phantom,
The next time I'm at Barnes & Noble, I'll check to see if they would let me recharge there. They seem to be very forward thinking, so it might be possible. They advertise GREEN products and may be willing to give me access to an outlet. Who knows maybe they'll let me roll the Enertia inside and plug in. It's sure to draw a crowd.

Today, I started 8 eBay auctions with various KTM and KLR parts. One of the guys that I work with recently bought my used Nolan N-Com BlueTooth helmet, so I have another $100 cash coming in for that. My total is up to $200 already. I could have $1000 by the end of the week. I may contact my bank tomorrow and see what they have to say. If I offer to advertise for them on the side of the bike they may be up for it. 

Thanks again for all the good information Phantom!

SamM