Author Topic: Storage  (Read 1595 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Storage
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
What have you been able to use on the Empulse for storage?

So far, Shinysideup has demonstrated a couple of options:
I don't think that a top box is available yet.
I do think that side bags are available from Givi (if anybody has more info about this, let me know and I'll add it to the Brammo wiki).
Backpacks will always work (although I prefer to keep the weight off my body and keep it on the bike).

Are there any other spaces on the bike that can be used to store small items?
Has anybody tried strapping things to the passenger seat on their Empulse?
Richard #935 #595 #44

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Storage
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »
There is a small amount of space under the seat next to the charger, though I'm not sure you'd want to store things next to the charger which might get hot while it is charging and you need to keep an allen wrench with you to remove the seat.

The hole in the fork is about the closest thing to a storage compartment if you have something cylindrical.  I was actually planning to use it to mount the LED status indicator for my garage door opener.

I did see a "popup" tail bag at Cycle Gear the other day that pops up only when needed.  It has a "faux carbon fiber" finish that will either coordinate with the carbon fiber accents on the R or stick out like a fake sore thumb, depending on how good an eye you have:

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/FastPack_Tail_Bag/web1001456

It comes in different sizes, but not sure if any of them match the fairly tight lines of the Empulse passenger seat.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
Has anybody tried strapping things to the passenger seat on their Empulse?

I have a Kriega US30 tail bag but have not tried it out on the Empulse yet.  When I get home this evening I'll see what happens and let you know.

The allen wrench I just keep stashed in one of the 90 or so pockets on my Aerostich.  Having used it a few times now I do wish the seat was secured by a key lock rather than the allen bolt.  Both from a convenience standpoint and also an 'any random passerby carrying an allen wrench can access the internals' standpoint.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »
I do wish the seat was secured by a key lock rather than the allen bolt.  Both from a convenience standpoint and also an 'any random passerby carrying an allen wrench can access the internals' standpoint.

Agreed. Once the seat is unlocked and removed from a Kawasaki Ninja, you have access to: Battery, air filter, fuses, toolkit, bolts that hold down the tank, the grab bar, the tail lights, rear fairings, etc.

There's still plenty that can be stripped from the bike without opening the seat, but it does provide a safe and discreet little storage box.

Some people use the seat lock to secure luggage, but if you're worried about that kind of theft, you had better remove the luggage -- I've heard stories of people going after luggage with bolt cutters in broad daylight and getting away with it. >:(
Richard #935 #595 #44

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:19 AM »
Yeah I don't ever leave luggage on a bike if I can help it.  I'm more concerned about A.) "hey, a free 8GB flash drive!" and also B.) "sorry officer, I cannot show you my registration because it is under the seat and I forgot my trusty allen wrench."

In any case, it turns out a Kriega US30 fits pretty perfectly on the back.  Not sure how much it would hang over onto the inevitable tail tidy kit, but it seems to do just fine.  I even had room to scoot it forward a few inches when I sat on the seat.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »
Nice...enough luggage for a nice weekend trip.

A small area for the registration is a good idea...on the Enertia and Plus I've always kept it under the seat...which is easy enough to get into...and the likelihood of needing to show it to an officer is low...

Now on the Empulse I figure I will be pulled over a few times :)  So easy access to the registration is a must.

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »

I always thought an elegant solution to the back turn signals would to be to put them on the end of the passenger handles...

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:35:11 AM »
a modification of lights similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Motorcycle-Signals-Bullet-Housings/dp/B0010ATWVM%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ3LA3JWIFZVLEBOQ%26tag%3Dgraphitepp-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0010ATWVM

So basically bullet style lights facing straight back from the passenger handle bars

to look like this, but better :)

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »
Tail Tidy with Bullet tail lights in passenger handles vs Tail Tidy and nl rear turn signal

Gavin