Author Topic: Long Trip  (Read 2046 times)

LGHTCYCL

• View Profile
    • Email
Long Trip
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »
I decided to take a ride to Ephrata, WA from my home in Arlington. It's my first long trip of the year! What a fun ride. Id recommend the US 2 route. There's plenty of chargers now.

On my way out on Friday, May 31st the weather was great and the best part were the twists and turns before and after Stevens Pass. I recommend the 59ner Diner after Stevens Pass. It's a fifties diner with really good food and a charger if your game.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Long Trip
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »
According to Google Maps, that's 185 miles (or so). Care to share your times, speeds, charging time(s), etc?  Looks like a great road on the map. :)
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »
Last week I took a 140-mile ride (without needing to recharge) from my home in Pacifica, down to Cupertino, and up into the Santa Cruz Mountains, on my power tank-equipped Zero, stopping at Big Basin State Park and then riding down to Highway 1, just north of Santa Cruz and back to my home in Pacifica. This ride included lots of climbing up and down hills and riding against a stiff headwind along the Pacific coast. Fortunately, the ride was very scenic and I was able to keep my speeds down to an average of about 45 mph.  I did note however that using lots of closed throttle regeneration while going downhill seem to be little help in recharging the battery pack, at least according to the instrument display.

Talk about range anxiety! I had to slow down to 40 mph for the last 30 miles as I watched the very accurate power gauge drop one percent at a time, falling to "0%" just as the bike died just 100 yards from my home.

The last 200 yards of my trip were uphill and taken in 20-foot segments, as the battery would die, then recover, then die again.  But I made it home without needing to push. Upon returning my pack voltage was 94 volts and balancing showed 160 mV for four of the modules and 48 mV for one module (likely the newer "power tank" battery).

The following day I checked my bike, which required 15 hours to fully recharge (the manufacturer claims 10 hours).  It took 13.75 kWh of power, as measured by a Kill-A-Watt meter at my 122 V wall outlet, and the battery pack now has 13.22 kWh of capacity as shown on the Zero cell phone app.  Voltage is now 115 Volts and the five battery modules are balanced within 2 mV of each other (between 1 mV and 3 mV).  So it looks like running the battery pack down to empty and beyond didn't result in any battery issues.

I might add that half way up Highway One I stopped at a convenience store and gas station that was well equipped with exterior wall outlets and asked the clerk if I could charge my bike for 30 minutes while I ate lunch at the nearby restaurant.  I told him that charging would only use about 20 cents worth of power and offered to buy something in the store while my bike was charging.  He thought about it for a while and then said it would cost me $5 to use their power to charge my bike.  So I told him no thanks, keep your power, and I rode off toward home. Apparently, gas station attendants are not feeling the love toward electric vehicles right now. 

Photo attached proving that I made it to Big Basin State Park.   :)

current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »
I decided to take a ride to Ephrata, WA from my home in Arlington.

Congratulations on your long trip, and especially for making it over the pass!

SR-2 is exactly the road I want to be able to travel on a Zero or Brammo, but have been afraid that neither would make it over Stevens Pass.  Could you please share details about your ride, such as where you charged and for how long, how much charge you had at Stevens Pass summit, and how much you had left at the '59er Diner?

Based on your PlugShare check-ins, it appears that you visited/charged at these locations.  I'm trying to model the amount of battery life at each stop and how long to recharge to arrive at the next destination with a safety margin.  How close is my estimate below to your experience?

• Monroe: 26 miles from Arlington, 40% battery used, 1 hour to recharge by 28% at L2 to 88%
  • Gold Bar: 15 miles, -23%, 1 hour, +28% to 93%
  • Stevens Pass: 36 miles, -75% (-54% without the hill climb), 1 hour, +28% to 48%
  • Coles Corner: 20 miles, -23% (-32% without regen), 1.5 hours, +43% to 69%
  • Wenatchee Convention Center: 38 miles, -57%, 3 hours, +85% to 97%
  • Ephrata: 50 miles, -76% to 20% remaining

I'm making the following assumptions:

• Brammo Empulse
  • Range = 66 miles @ 60 mph, where 1% battery = 0.66 miles
  • Average speed = 55-60 mph
  • Recharge rate = 18-19 mph (+28%/hour)

It looks like you would've been able to reach Skykomish from Monroe.  Why did you choose to stop in Gold Bar instead?

Also, how long was your trip?  I estimate 7.5 hours of charging for 3.3 hours of riding, for a total of about 11 hours to reach Ephrata.

Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:31:33 AM by MichaelJ »
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T