Author Topic: 12v for USB accessories  (Read 4078 times)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
12v for USB accessories
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
Hi,

I want to install an USB power outlet for powering my phone or other accessoires.

I discovered two unused connectors on the handlebars. A black connector on the left hand side.

And a red connector on the right hand side.

Would one of these be intended for connecting 12v accessoires?

Thanks

Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: 12v for USB accessories
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »
My 2013 Empulse did not have the red connector on the right. I'd plug a voltmeter into it and see what reading you get. The black plug on the left is NOT a 12V outlet; I was told that it is for a possible future development.

The 12V tap is found covered up, under the plastic body coverings and tank on the right front portion of the bike, and there's a thread with pictures, I believe, somewhere on this forum. The fuse is the lower right of the gray covered box on the left, upper side of the bike, once the "tank" is removed.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
I used a voltmeter but unfortunately nothing showed on either of the connectors. Nothing with the bike switched on and nothing with the bike on charge.

So I will go for the setup as described in the thread linked below.

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1802.0

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:10:56 PM »
Today I tried to install a 12V power outlet and went ahead to find the purple/black cable under the right side panel. I assumed this would be an easy job as Ain described it all very nicely in his post.

But nothing to be found! :(

I have read somewhere that the 2014 bikes have a new power harness so I thought maybe they changed the position of the connector. So I opened the rest of the panels looking for any clue. But unfortunately I could not find anything with 12 volt.
The fuse box is wired on positions 7 and 8 which would indicate that they can end up somewhere. (fuse 7 even has a 10 amp fuse in it, fuse 8 is empty)

During my searching I did find some other things:
I found a 200 Volt connector (between the charger and the battery) but that is a bit too much for my USB charger I guess  ;)
I also found out (as I even removed the cover of the headlight) where the left hand black connector is for (see first post): It is switched by the horn button to 12V.
And I found that there is an unused micro switch on the clutch lever. The cable of the switch ends up unterminated behind the headlight cover.

Below some photo's of the bike opened up while searching for the 12 volts:

Photo of the lower right front cover (this is where Ain found the purple/black cable). As you can see it is quite different as the photo in Ain's post. There are two big connectors there now and they are labeled with something like "CAN BUS" so I guess they are for diagnose access.

Below photo is the same area but taken from the front

And a photo taken from the left

Below photo is of the left side behind the top panels showing the low voltage fuse box, but no 12V cable...
As I opened up the fuse box there was some water inside, not much but not a good sign!

Right side behind the top panels showing the high voltage fuse box.

Below the seat photo showing the 200V connector, it is the white connector between the charger and the first visible battery.

Below photo shows what is behind the top panel located near the head bearing.

And the last photo shows how crowded it is behind the headlight cover!

So my question is now: Who can help me find 12 Volts?
Thanks

BrammoQC

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Brammo, Inc
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »
See the circled connector in the attachment. 12 volt connector will be referenced in the Empulse Owners Manual (2014 only).

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:48:15 AM by BrammoQC »

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 12v for USB accessories
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
See the circled connector in the attachment. 12 volt connector will be referenced in the Empulse Owners Manual (2014 only).
When I found that connector last Saturday and measured the open voltage it showed 200 Volt!

But I think that I found out what happened, the multimeter I used this weekend gave me a false reading, probably it had a low battery. Because after reading your update I immediately tried again with another multimeter and got a nice 12 Volt.

Thanks for clarifying and I will install the 12V outlet this weekend!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 01:36:58 PM »
Is there one on the 2013's?

E-cite

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
Can a person just tap into the headlight? I would think that is a 12v bulb or am I off base here?

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 04:08:59 AM »
That's actually a good idea, yes it is a 12V light bulb.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139