Author Topic: System fault. Error is back again....  (Read 2597 times)

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Green Motorcycles - weblog
System fault. Error is back again....
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »
Nice spring day today. Good opportunity for a longer ride. With 25% left I shortly peaked topspeed for a few seconds and left the highway. Almost stopped at the traffic lights where I got green and wanted to accelerate.
No power and I saw the message 'system fault'.
Instinctively I restarted when still rolling. I'm used to do so over last year's experience ::)

This was a sad end of a beautiful morning. Last year the Dutch Brammo agent installed a new Sevcon controler and a new motor. I thought the problems were solved by that... :-\

Tomorrow I will do another test ride and incase of failures I will send in the files again and see what Brammo/Polaris will come up with.

To be continued.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:01:56 PM by Roan »
Plug in - Hop on - Ride electric

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: System fault. Error is back again....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
Did you notice any bumpy pavement just before the cutout? I've had this happen 3 times. During harsh, repetitive bumps, the rear tire can leave the pavement, spin, and the bike's protective software shuts it down. Unfortunately, most times I'm pinning the throttle is due to some necessity in traffic and to have the bike shut off is, ah, inconvenient.

Also, below 30% SOC, under heavy acceleration, I've noticed momentary stuttering in power delivery (much like a spark plug cutting out). This was explained to me as the BMS programming limiting the draw on a particular bank to protect it. But this event does has never produced a fault code and shut down the whole system.

I agree that having Brammo/Polaris look over your data is a good approach.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:21:23 AM »
Below 40% SoC and in cold temperatures you should not go WOT.
Be kind to your batteries and they will last longer....
Once you go EV, gas is history!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:02:51 PM »
I did that at low soc and it was because one or more cells hit low voltage cutoff under heavy acceleration in sport mode.

It's protecting your batteries by forcing you to keep them in the safe spot.

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »
This afternoon I went out for a ride again. First did some trial exercise on grass hills and went back to the same exit road (1km in length and with an emergency lane), temparature outside was near 13°C. The tarmac doesn't have any bumps, putholes, junctures or whatsoever. SOC 85%, motor temperature at 50°C.
For about 4 seconds I could hardly reach over 100 km/h, a Suzuki Swift (girl inside...) blocked my way  >:(. No errors came up. Turned and went back. Exit road complete clear now, SOC 80%, motor 55°C  peaked shortly 110 km/h. Again no errors.

Well, what's a wise thing to do? Don't go faster than 100 km/h when SOC is below 30 or 40%? How cold or warm should be the outside termperature? Can't find any offical charts for that.

Of course, saving batteries on low SOC by riding gently is good. But on overtaking traffic you should always be able to peak for a short moment. I prefer saving my life than my batteries  8).

Wednesday I need my bike for a 60 km commuter ride.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:16:26 AM by Roan »

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
Blackest day ever. I got stranded again....  :'(

Today I rode a distance of 30 km to my grandparent's home. Here I charged because the SOC was at 39% and I had to ride back home later on.

After 2,5 hours I got dressed up again and planned to go back. The SOC was now at 80%, enough to reach my destination.

I made 6 attempts to get my Enertia+ alive. Green leds are flashing, but no power and I did not hear the usual tick. Throttle could be twisted but nothing happened. System fault S94 showed up.

This situation I never encountered before. It left me stranded permanently this time and I had to call my wife to pick me up with the gas-powered Volvo car.

I parked the Enertia+ in my grandparent's garage and it will stay there...

Sent the logs to Brammo service. I already got a very quick response of Brammo service after starting this new thread last weekend!

Why the errors keep coming up after last year replacment, I don't know.
How do I feel? Bad about it. I'm not able to ride at the moment!

But I'm not throwing in the towel. Errors can be solved, always.

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »
Prompt and accurate service by Brammo/Polaris and Electric Motorcycles Nederland. Within 10 days EM collected and brought back my bike in my place of residence!
The main contactor relay has been replaced and the connector of the motor fan has been extra fastened.

Top service! :)

I'm able to move on again.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »
Great news and good implications for all of us as we go through the transition!  ;D

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 10:07:46 AM »
Last Monday I had a similar episode: left home in the morning with 25% SOC (and temperature around 3ºC). A little low, and I normally recharge my bike when it gets below 30%, but my commute is about 10 km and in winter temperatures that means 10% SOC so I figured I could make it and charge at the office.

But when I rode through the tunnel (where I've had some issues before) suddenly I could not accelerate and SOC instantly dropped to 0%. And then the bike shut down.
In the tunnel, with no emergency lane, I somehow managed to restart (had no time to notice if there was an error message on the display) and because I assumed my batteries were not actually totally empty, decided to drive to work anyway.
The green leds kept flashing all the time and I rode a lot slower than usual but I made it. Charged the bike while at work and no more battery issues have come up afterwards. So I hope I didn't ruin my batteries by draining them too much. And hopefully I've learned to remember to charge the bike when SOC is below 30%  :-\

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 12:31:08 AM »
I'm sure you have not hurt your batteries, as they are well protected by the BMS design.