Author Topic: Battery drained, now not charging  (Read 1899 times)

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Battery drained, now not charging
« on: November 13, 2016, 05:01:44 PM »
First of all, I messed up. I have a newborn in the house and the bike had sat for about 2 weeks. I went to hop on for a quick ride, but the charge was down to 6%, and being in a hurry I went and grabbed the car and apparently left the key in the on position. I came back to it two days later with the bike dead, while the key was in the on position. Switched to off and plugged in the charger- nothing.

Today I tried some trouble shooting. Checked the fuse boxes. The standard fuses are fine. The high voltage fuses, which would be my guess for the culprit, are opaque (brilliant design guys) so I can't tell if they're good or not. The last thing I tried was connecting my batter tender to the battery terminals (after lifting the covers), still nothing. I'm at the end of my competency here. Should I just suck it up and take it to the dealer (fingers crossed that Eurosports  still works on Brammos), or is there a simple solution here?

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Battery drained, now not charging
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
On a related topic, where can I find high voltage fuses? Not from polaris apparently
http://www.polarispartspitstop.com/oemparts/a/vic/5678f85a87a86611bc5d15b6/electrical-fuse-block

willss01

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:39:51 AM »
I have found 20w high voltage fuses (similar to the ones you describe *Ceramic fuses? as in the wires that lead to the charging controller) at Homedepot for microwaves apparently.... anyhow you can test a fuse that cannot be visually inspected with a $10 voltmeter just check it for resistance or continuity.

{I had a bad charging controller and went through hell to get the dealer to find a new one **if this is your problem (I'd say it could be the batteries being drained beyond charging  ... warranty?) evolve electronics in Boulder Colorado sells our charging controller and will test them for a fee...}

I feel I may be adding more complication to the issue than solutions so as much as I hate to say it ... with the winter season coming and their stock down maybe let polaris/victory take a swing at it..   :/      can't say my experience was pleasant.

Hope this helps and congrats on the new addition!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:48:26 AM by willss01 »
"I'ts not me, it's the world that's crazy!" -Scott Pilgrim

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:39:16 AM »
I own a zero and am therefore not privy to the workings of the brammo, although I do love the bike and have test driven them, that being said can you access the controller? Using an off board charger to the controller battery contacts with the bike in the on position you may be able to bring the charge up to a point where the onboard charger can start working again, that may get you going, but if the contactor doesn't close it won't work, just a thought and best of luck

cybergodzilla

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »
Yesterday I was about to post the same thing. Without power the controller can't direct the flow of energy. Maybe somehow the bike needs to be jump started or boosted like some phones and electronics?
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/low_voltage_cut_off
Here is some of the Warranty verbage. "This warranty is for Brammo vehicles registered and normally operated. In addition to the initial owner of the vehicle, the coverage described in this warranty is transferable at no cost to any subsequent person(s) who assumes ownership of the vehicle within the 5 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers) term. No deductibles are associated with this warranty. This BrammoPower component warranty covers repairs to correct any BrammoPower component defect related to materials or workmanship..."
2014 Empulse =D
2014 CBR650F B-)
2014 CFR250L =O

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
Quick update, I borrowed a buddy's battery charger and hooked it up to the terminals for a couple hours and that seems to have brought the onboard charger back on-line. It's in the garage getting charged as we speak. Hopefully there are no longterm issues because of this. Fingers crossed.... Bottom line, never let your bike get discharged to that point.

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 03:28:53 AM »
May I ask at which terminals you hooked up the battery charger?
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts
GPS Satellite controlled chain lubrication system
Top Case

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 09:33:45 AM »
May I ask at which terminals you hooked up the battery charger?
Sure, the ones under the seat (closest to the "tank"). They're under plastic covers that you need to remove first. I borrowed a friend's 12 volt 6 amp battery charger.

JaredMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 01:11:45 PM »
Are these connectors under orange plastic?