Author Topic: Brammo Customer Participation Survey and Empulse update email  (Read 1801 times)

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Brammo Customer Participation Survey and Empulse update email
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:50:44 PM »
Hi guys, just got this email less than an hour ago. I finished the survey. This sounds like good news, so it's confirmed that the new Empulse will have the IET and that it will (hopefully) be available next year (earlier the better).
The deposit is only $1000, so that's not too shabby, it'll give them a more realistic number of who really plan to buy.
at the risk of sounding like Gavin, "Take my money and give me the damn thing already" :D

Dear -----,
I am writing to you with an update on the development of your Empulse. As I mentioned in my previous email to you, we had been testing and developing more groundbreaking technology that greatly improves performance. I am now pleased to confirm that the Empulse will indeed feature the 6 speed Integrated Electric Transmission ™ (IET) as standard equipment when it goes on sale next year.
This is a world first for production electric motorcycles and I am sure you are as excited as I am about riding the Empulse and realizing the full extent of its performance.
Pre-orders for the Empulse continue to arrive on a daily basis and next month we will be picking one lucky Brammo customer from the first 1000 to pre-order and that customer will receive their Empulse as a gift from Brammo. Yes, it could be you!
The expansion of the Brammo dealer network is gaining momentum and once your Empulse is within 90 days of production your nearest Brammo dealer will be contacting you to request a non-refundable deposit of $1000.
Finally, I would like 5 minutes of your time to take a short survey about Brammo and the upcoming Empulse. As a future Empulse owner, your opinion is vitally important to our future direction and product development.
The survey is anonymous and I will share the results with you in a future Empulse newsletter.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=OQsCnJRcl2faNdxWTUYoBA_3d_3d
Thank you again for choosing Brammo and thank you in advance for helping us understand what’s important to you by completing this survey.
Sincerely,

Craig Bramscher
CEO and Founder Brammo Inc.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Brammo Customer Participation Survey and Empulse update email
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »
I also got my e-mail message today and I also filled out the survey. That $1000 deposit caught my attention.That is about twice what most major brand dealers request as a deposit for pre-ordering a new model. Still, I would have no objection to a $1K deposit if I knew more about the bike, had a precise date when it would be delivered and had a chance to test ride a model with the six-speed transmission. I am still trying to come to grips with the concept of controlling the speed of an unloaded electric motor when shifting from neutral to first gear and when downshifting between gears.   ???
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »
Since the bikes aren't scheduled for production until 2012, the earliest they would be looking for a deposit would be September. If the bikes go into production by summer, they'll be looking for deposits in the March timeframe.

Hopefully by that time we'll have more information. Bikes should have gone out to magazine reviewers, and dealers may have some bikes on hand as well.

Presumably the accelerator will be controlled by the computer to keep it from blowing up.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:09:10 PM »
I also filled out the survey...

my one concern....Aptera did the same thing in 2009...sent out a survey and then changed a bunch of stuff and delayed release a year (well 2 and counting now)....

I hope Brammo A) doesn't delay release of bikes because of the survey B) in fact, Brammo should release bikes sooner than advertized or risk becoming the motorcycle version of Aptera...a great idea that took too long and then the big boys got in the game and killed any small start ups.

Gavin

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »
I second your comments, Galvin.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to complete the survey.  It will provide some valuable information for the Marketing and Engineering teams, but I cannot see any result of that survey further affecting delivery schedule for the bikes.   

Regarding clutch and motor speed control, I think you will find this all very intuitive and, in fact, easier than a gasoline powered bike.  The motor controller prevents over-speed of the motor and you'd have to really bang through alot of downshifts from a very high speed to create a problem... like you would have to on a gas bike.  The clutch does not have to be used for launch from first gear... or second... or third, etc...  It's impossible to stall and there's not enough rotating inertia (like on a gas engine) in the motor to take advantage of the "power hit" that comes from dumping the clutch at redline, which is also done to extract peak torque from the gas motor.  We make peak torque down low in the rpm range, so launching without the clutch in first is the fastest.  Seems like alot to wrap your head around, but I promise you that after one ride it'll feel natural and intuitive.  It's like a gas bike, just easier.   

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 04:38:18 PM »
That sounds great, Brian. Thanks for the information!   :)