Author Topic: V58 error  (Read 1478 times)

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
V58 error
« on: August 10, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »
Hi,

I accidentally posted this to a V58 error thread in the Enertia section (http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3632.0), so now the post is here.

For background:  on my most recent commute, the V58 error message started blinking on and off frequently and erratically (without pattern) on the digital dashboard, sometimes accompanied by a red warning light on the tachometer side.  Usually, error messages stay on until power cycling, or stay on continuously for a few seconds.  It is unusual for me to see the error message flicker on and off again many times, over several minutes.

Assuming that I can follow the advice in that Enertia thread to clean a connector, am I looking in the right place for that connector?  (See Enertia thread for context and photos below for an idea of where I'm looking.)

If I cannot simply clean a connector to make the error message go away, what exactly is defective and what are my options?

After removing the upper and lower body panels, and disconnecting the battery, I'm not sure where to find the electrical connector that needs to be cleaned.

Under the lower bodywork at the front is a black rectangular box with the electrical connector attaching to the right side of the converter, this is the DC/DC convertor.

At the bottom of the bike, looking back from the front, I see a vertical radiator and a horizontal heat sink.  (See photo #1)

Photo 1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpqMp6cwzw2kQL6G7

On the right side, there is a fat black one inch diameter cable running towards the radiator.  There is also a think grey one quarter inch diameter cable whose wires split into *two* black plastic connectors, seen at the bottom right of photo #2, to the right of the yellow warning label.

Photo 2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kW1z5a9Am3aMSQnF7

These two black plastic connectors are zip tied to the larger cable (pipe?).  Are these what you are talking about?

Unfortunately, I don't see anything that resembles the photo that Qutaneous posted in March.  (I suppose that this is one of the differences between the Enertia and the Empulse R.)
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
Re: V58 error
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 11:24:51 PM »
Looking forward to any helpful advice, thanks!

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:09:52 AM »
It is quite late (sorry) but it may be of any help. The service manual says its +12v out of spec for the VCU. It may be the VCU itself but I would not look this in first place. I would rather look at the DC-DC converter (the unit that convert the big battery 117V to 12V) or the wirering from the DC-DC converter to the VCU. My advice : print the service manual, get a volt-meter, disconnect the safety harness and start chasing this bug.

Good luck.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 11:45:08 PM »
Hi nunux59,

thank you for your reply and advice.  I have disconnected the safety harness, but unfortunately I do not have the service manual to know how to proceed.  The download link on the wiki brings me to a "403: Access Denied" error.

Does anyone have a link that isn't password-protected?
https://brammofan.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/brammo-service-manual.pdf

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 02:45:15 AM »

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru